[Public WebGL] WebGL Stats

Benoit Jacob [email protected]
Mon Apr 9 06:29:57 PDT 2012

Note that even defining "unbiased" is nontrivial. It could mean at least 3 different things:
1. representative of the whole population of Web users
2. representative of the subset of Web users who try to access WebGL content
3. representative of a more specific population i.e. if you're a game developer, you're interested in the population of visitors of your game's website.

For Firefox users, I have some precise data about 2. and more indirect data about 1. on this page:
http://people.mozilla.org/~bjacob/gfx_features_stats/

The blue curve on these graphs gives the answer to 2. for Firefox users. It says it's currently just under 50%, about to hit 50% soon.

The orange curve says how many % of people have accelerated compositing. We know that the % of people who can access WebGL content is significantly higher than that (because our blacklist rules for compositing are particularly conservative). Currently the orange curve is at 27%, so it's safe to say that the answer to 1. for Firefox users is somewhere between 30% and 35%.

Cheers,
Benoit