[Public WebGL] WebGL Stats

Florian Bösch [email protected]
Mon Apr 9 06:35:13 PDT 2012

On Mon, Apr 9, 2012 at 3:29 PM, Benoit Jacob <[email protected]> wrote:

> Note that even defining "unbiased" is nontrivial. It could mean at least 3
> different things:
>  1. representative of the whole population of Web users
>  2. representative of the subset of Web users who try to access WebGL
> content
>  3. representative of a more specific population i.e. if you're a game
> developer, you're interested in the population of visitors of your game's
> website.
>
> The blue curve on these graphs gives the answer to 2. for Firefox users.
> It says it's currently just under 50%, about to hit 50% soon.

The orange curve says how many % of people have accelerated compositing. We
> know that the % of people who can access WebGL content is significantly
> higher than that (because our blacklist rules for compositing are
> particularly conservative). Currently the orange curve is at 27%, so it's
> safe to say that the answer to 1. for Firefox users is somewhere between
> 30% and 35%.

My stats show currently Desktop -> Firefox 44.2%. So my bias is about in
the middle between 1 and 2, and it's pretty far away from 3. It started out
pretty much at 3 about two days ago and gradually shifted trough 2 to
between 1 and 2, which is the expected result of broadening the sample base.