[Public WebGL] Null return values from create*

Gregg Tavares (勤) [email protected]
Sat Apr 14 12:40:37 PDT 2012

On Fri, Apr 13, 2012 at 7:10 PM, Glenn Maynard <[email protected]> wrote:

> On Fri, Apr 13, 2012 at 8:30 PM, Kenneth Russell <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> The set of functions where non-nullability could be enforced is only a
>> small percentage of the WebGL API.
>

> There's nothing inconsistent about functions for which null is *always* a
> programming error raising TypeError.
>
> Further, there were only
>> three functions -- bufferSubData, texImage2D and texSubImage2D --
>> where enforcing non-nullable "data" arguments was under consideration.
>>

> No, it's much more than that.  The following functions should have
> non-nullable arguments:
>
>     void attachShader(WebGLProgram? program, WebGLShader? shader);
>     void detachShader(WebGLProgram? program, WebGLShader? shader);
>     void bindAttribLocation(WebGLProgram? program, GLuint index, DOMString
> name);
>     WebGLActiveInfo? getActiveAttrib(WebGLProgram? program, GLuint index);
>     WebGLActiveInfo? getActiveUniform(WebGLProgram? program, GLuint index);
>     WebGLShader[]? getAttachedShaders(WebGLProgram? program);
>     any getProgramParameter(WebGLProgram? program, GLenum pname);
>     DOMString? getProgramInfoLog(WebGLProgram? program);
>     any getUniform(WebGLProgram? program, WebGLUniformLocation? location);
> (first argument)
>     WebGLUniformLocation? getUniformLocation(WebGLProgram? program,
> DOMString name);
>     void linkProgram(WebGLProgram? program);
>     void validateProgram(WebGLProgram? program);
>     void compileShader(WebGLShader? shader);
>     any getShaderParameter(WebGLShader? shader, GLenum pname);
>     DOMString? getShaderInfoLog(WebGLShader? shader);
>     DOMString? getShaderSource(WebGLShader? shader);
>     void shaderSource(WebGLShader? shader, DOMString source);
>     GLint getAttribLocation(WebGLProgram? program, DOMString name);
>     void bufferData(GLenum target, ArrayBuffer? data, GLenum usage);
>     void bufferSubData(GLenum target, GLintptr offset, ArrayBuffer? data);
>
> and the following should have non-nullable return values (I havn't seen
> any rationale for why this hasn't been done; it's worthwhile on its own):
>
>     WebGLBuffer? createBuffer();
>     WebGLFramebuffer? createFramebuffer();
>     WebGLProgram? createProgram();
>     WebGLRenderbuffer? createRenderbuffer();
>     WebGLShader? createShader(GLenum type);
>     WebGLTexture? createTexture();
>
> (The delete* and is* functions should have simply been two member
> functions on WebGLObject, "delete()" and "isValid()", but it's too late to
> fix that...)

The MO of the WebGL group is to bring OpenGL ES 2.0 to the Web. Not design
some new API.

Honestly, I agree with you. I'd much prefer program.delete() and
program.isValid() as well as program.getUniformLocation().
program.attachShader() and program.getInfoLog() etc..

I'd even prefer

   tex = gl.createTexture(gl.TEXTURE_2D)

and then from that point on

   tex.image2D(....);
   tex.parameter(...);

but several others would like the API to stay as close to OpenGL as
possible and so for the most part it has.