[Public WebGL] Reason for not allowing generateMipmaps with compressed textures

Florian Bösch [email protected]
Sun Apr 15 13:02:44 PDT 2012

The OpenGL ES specification states that if the baselevel of a texture is
uploaded with compressedTexImage2D then trying to invoke generateMipmap on
that texture will generate an error. Interestingly enough though it is not
like compressed textures would not be mipmappable. like texImage2D you can
specify further levels of the compressed texture yourself (however you will
have to specify all levels or the texture won't work). The restriction to
generateMipmaps is not present in desktop OpenGL. The only extension for
compressed textures in WebGL would currently require a function that does
not yet exist in WebGL (compressedTexImage2D) as only WebGL 1.0 has yet
been ratified (although the latest editor draft of the specification looks
like it adds compressedTexImage2D).

I'm guessing that it has been deemed too costly for the driver of OpenGL ES
implementations to do a readback and decompress, recompress and upload in
order to generate the mip levels, so the responsibility to do it is
deferred to the application programmer. We have two choices to do this:

1) upload all levels as well
2) compute the levels on the fly

Unfortunately both of these are somewhat regrettably penalizing for
mobiles. Desktops (with broadband internet, copious amounts of ram and fast
processors) have plenty of power to go either of these routes. Mobiles on
the other hand will suffer disproportionately from having to transfer all
miplevels, and they will equally suffer disproportionately by having to
compute the miplevels in JS prior to upload. Which is another example where
a restriction that is irrelevant for PCs is erected while avoiding to solve
it for mobiles.