[Public WebGL] Not clear what getProgramParameter should do if the passed-in pname is not on the whitelist

Florian Bösch [email protected]
Tue Apr 17 09:40:25 PDT 2012

Passing a pname that is not valid will generate an INVALID_ENUM error. In
GL/ES the get*v get passed a pointer to the storage for the value (return
by pointer), in case of an invalid enum, they would not touch this storage.
As the semantic in WebGL is return by value, we cannot derive the behavior
from the ES specification, as it would be impossible to reliably
distinguish between an error/untouched value and an actual return value
without consulting the error state (which we shouldn't do due to this being
slow). I think WebGL would be free to define this behavior independently of
ES.