[Public WebGL] readPixels overloads?

Glenn Maynard [email protected]
Fri Apr 20 20:22:10 PDT 2012

On Fri, Apr 20, 2012 at 10:12 PM, Boris Zbarsky <[email protected]> wrote:

> Thinking about readPixels some more, would it make sense to add an
> overload like this to the spec:
>
>  void readPixels(GLint x, GLint y, GLsizei width, GLsizei height,
>                  ArrayBufferView? pixels)
>
> which assumes format=RGBA and type=UNSIGNED_BYTE?  If one really wanted,
> one could even make it take a Uint8Array; I think the current behavior of
> allowing passing in the wrong array types but "silently" not writing data
> to them is sorta hostile as APIs go.

The problem wouldn't exist if functions threw exceptions for invalid enum
arguments (and other things which are almost always programming errors and
which can be detected without flushing the render queue), but failing that
it doesn't seem worth sidestepping it for just a single API call.  Other
functions do the same thing if you pass an invalid enum (do nothing except
generate an error).

This would not break existing code (or future code if more modes/formats
> ever get added), since the old overload would still be there, but would
> allow simpler code to be written in the meantime.

(Omitting two parameters here isn't much of a simplification--this isn't a
function that's used a whole lot; rarely more than once or twice in an
application, if that.)

--
Glenn Maynard