[Public WebGL] questions about vertexAttribPointer / getVertexAttrib offsets

Benoit Jacob [email protected]
Mon Apr 23 11:14:12 PDT 2012

Hi,

1. It seems that the WebGL and GLES2 specs allow for vertex attrib offsets to be negative. Firefox currently generates a INVALID_VALUE error on negative offset in vertexAttribPointer. Is that a Firefox bug? There is a conformance test in index-validation.html that tests a very large negative offset, but due to a separate bug in Firefox, this 64bit value is converted to 32bit and becomes positive.

What is the use case for negative offsets? If we allow them, how are we going to protect from out-of-bounds accesses without relying on drivers for that?

2. The constant VERTEX_ATTRIB_ARRAY_POINTER is mentioned in the spec, but not as an constant accepted by getVertexAttrib. Shouldn't getVertexAttrib accept it?

Cheers,
Benoit