[Public WebGL] Implement extension EXT_frag_depth in WebGL

Florian Bösch [email protected]
Tue Dec 4 02:24:45 PST 2012

On Tue, Dec 4, 2012 at 3:15 AM, Mark Callow <[email protected]>wrote:

>  I don't know what gave you that idea. OpenGL 3.0 was released in August
> 2008, OpenGL ES 2.0 in March 2007.  Clearly it is based on OpenGL 2.0.

Well even more mysterious then, since OpenGL 2.0 had frag depth for half a
decade before ES copied the API (but not this functionality)

> I don't think the vendors have any interest in keeping features concealed.
> If it was in the hardware they would advertise the extension.

If you can call "discard" in a shader then the hardware/driver must have a
path that excludes early-z as well as a conditional on the depth write. I
just find it unlikely that you'd have an early-z switch and depth write
conditional, but no way to set the depth value.