[Public WebGL] y-orientation for texImage2D from HTML elements

Mark Callow [email protected]
Thu Dec 6 22:25:37 PST 2012

On 2012/12/07 13:33, Kenneth Russell wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 6, 2012 at 7:32 PM, Mark Callow <[email protected]> wrote:
>> On 2012/12/07 12:07, Jeff Gilbert wrote:
>>
>> At the absolute minimum, we need wording in the spec that spells this out:
>> "We send decoded image data top-row-first into texImage2D, which, per spec,
>> expects bottom-row-first data. This means that textures uploaded this way
>> will be upside down compared to textures uploaded via other methods. You can
>> force HTML element uploads to upload bottom-row-first by using
>> UNPACK_FLIP_Y_WEBGL=true, but this also flips the order that TypedArray rows
>> are uploaded."
>>
>> I have no objection to adding a note to the spec. I would prefer something
>> along the lines of:
>>
>> The default texture coordinate system in OpenGL is such that the first row
>> of data loaded by texImage2D will appear at bottom of the texture. However
>> the first row of data in HTML elements is the logical top of the image
>> therefore textures uploaded from HTML elements will appear upside down. One
>> way of adjusting for this is to set UNPACK_FLIP_Y_WEBGL=true. Then
>> texImage2D will flip the rows of data as it uploads them.
>> UNPACK_FLIP_Y_WEBGL affects the operation of texImage2D for all data
>> sources.
> This seems like too much text to me.
> http://www.khronos.org/registry/webgl/specs/latest/#PIXEL_STORAGE_PARAMETERS
> already defines UNPACK_FLIP_Y_WEBGL very clearly. The only text that
> should possibly be added in my opinion is a brief note in
> http://www.khronos.org/registry/webgl/specs/latest/#5.14.8 under the
> texImage2D and texSubImage2D overloads taking HTML elements and
> ImageData, which already reference the above section. I'm still
> unconvinced that changes are needed here so if someone could please
> propose spec text in this context it would be helpful.
I agree. I had not looked at the spec. before proposing that language.:-[

How about adding the following in 5.14.8 after "Uploads the given
element or image data to the currently bound WebGLTexture":

    Note: HTML elements have an upper left origin. To match the texture
    image orientation to the element's display in HTML, either set
    UNPACK_FLIP_Y_WEBGL=true or change texture coordinate v.

Regards

    -Mark

--
注意:この電子メールには、株式会社エイチアイの機密情報が含まれている場合
が有ります。正式なメール受信者では無い場合はメール複製、 再配信または情

NOTE: This electronic mail message may contain confidential and
privileged information from HI Corporation. If you are not the intended
recipient, any disclosure, photocopying, distribution or use of the
contents of the received information is prohibited. If you have received
this e-mail in error, please notify the sender immediately and
permanently delete this message and all related copies.