[Public WebGL] y-orientation for texImage2D from HTML elements

Gregg Tavares (社用) [email protected]
Thu Dec 6 22:34:48 PST 2012

On Fri, Dec 7, 2012 at 3:25 PM, Mark Callow <[email protected]>wrote:

>  On 2012/12/07 13:33, Kenneth Russell wrote:
>
> On Thu, Dec 6, 2012 at 7:32 PM, Mark Callow <[email protected]> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>  On 2012/12/07 12:07, Jeff Gilbert wrote:
>
> At the absolute minimum, we need wording in the spec that spells this out:
> "We send decoded image data top-row-first into texImage2D, which, per spec,
> expects bottom-row-first data. This means that textures uploaded this way
> will be upside down compared to textures uploaded via other methods. You can
> force HTML element uploads to upload bottom-row-first by using
> UNPACK_FLIP_Y_WEBGL=true, but this also flips the order that TypedArray rows
> are uploaded."
>
> I have no objection to adding a note to the spec. I would prefer something
> along the lines of:
>
> The default texture coordinate system in OpenGL is such that the first row
> of data loaded by texImage2D will appear at bottom of the texture. However
> the first row of data in HTML elements is the logical top of the image
> therefore textures uploaded from HTML elements will appear upside down. One
> way of adjusting for this is to set UNPACK_FLIP_Y_WEBGL=true. Then
> texImage2D will flip the rows of data as it uploads them.
> UNPACK_FLIP_Y_WEBGL affects the operation of texImage2D for all data
> sources.
>
>  This seems like too much text to me.http://www.khronos.org/registry/webgl/specs/latest/#PIXEL_STORAGE_PARAMETERS
> already defines UNPACK_FLIP_Y_WEBGL very clearly. The only text that
> should possibly be added in my opinion is a brief note inhttp://www.khronos.org/registry/webgl/specs/latest/#5.14.8 under the
> texImage2D and texSubImage2D overloads taking HTML elements and
> ImageData, which already reference the above section. I'm still
> unconvinced that changes are needed here so if someone could please
> propose spec text in this context it would be helpful.
>
>  I agree. I had not looked at the spec. before proposing that language.:-[
>
> How about adding the following in 5.14.8 after "Uploads the given element
> or image data to the currently bound WebGLTexture":
>
> Note: HTML elements have an upper left origin. To match the texture image
> orientation to the element's display in HTML, either set
> UNPACK_FLIP_Y_WEBGL=true or change texture coordinate v.

What is texture coordinate "v"? :)

I've never really been successful flipping texture coords in any automated
away. It's not just 1-t (or 1-v) because decals often have texture
coordinates outside the 0-1 range. Animated texture coords make that even
harder.

I guess all that's the long way of saying it might be better for the note
to only mention UNPACK_FLIP_Y_WEBGL as in

Note: HTML elements have an upper left origin. To match the texture image
orientation to the element's display in HTML call
gl.pixelStorei(gl.UNPACK_FLIP_Y_WEBGL, true).