[Public WebGL] MIP rendering in WebGL (integration of EXT_blend_minmax)

Sébastien Jodogne [email protected]
Wed Dec 12 08:58:26 PST 2012

Dear all,

I am the main developer of the Orthanc open-source software, that is an
open-source server for storing medical images [1]. We currently plan to
extend Orthanc so as to propose a Web-based interface for displaying 2D/3D
images according to medical standards. Obviously, this would be a huge step
toward the adoption of WebGL in scientific applications.

Unfortunately, medical/scientific visualization requires native support for
MIP rendering (Maximum Intensity Projection) in WebGL [2]. Currently, it
seems that only the FUNC_ADD, FUND_SUBTRACT and FUNC_REVERSE_SUBTRACT
blending equations are supported in OpenGL ES [3]. However, the extension
"EXT_blend_minmax" currently brings MIP rendering to OpenGL ES [4], but not
(yet) to WebGL.

I am therefore convinced that porting the "EXT_blend_minmax" inside WebGL
would be of major interest for the adoption of WebGL, both in medical and
scientific applications.

How is it possible to suggest to the Khronos group to integrate this
extension inside WebGL? Should we contact Firefox developers?

Thanks in advance for your help,
S. Jodogne-

[1] https://code.google.com/p/orthanc/
[2] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maximum_intensity_projection