[Public WebGL] MIP rendering in WebGL (integration of EXT_blend_minmax)

Sébastien Jodogne [email protected]
Thu Dec 13 04:26:49 PST 2012

Dear Gregg,

> I'm not suggesting you shouldn't push for min/max blending. On the other
> hand given < 1/3 of mobile supports it seems like you're likely to have
> to wait for WebGL 2.0 which is easily 12-24 months away. So my point is,
> there must be other creative ways to build the app you want to build
> without waiting for that feature.

Thank you much for your feedback and for your outline of a technical
solution!

As pointed out by Florian, I think that native support for min/max
blending would have many direct applications. For this reason, I am
convinced that WebGL should include this feature in future releases, for
instance as an extension (for quicker release in cutting-edge browsers
such as Firefox). According to this discussion, it indeed seems that my
need is shared by a lot of developers. The iterative plane cast is at
the same time slow and tricky when you come to the actual
implementation... and it would not be very productive that several
developers redevelop it from scratch all around the world.

 From my point of view, WebGL is not only important for mobile devices,
but also for any Web application that is accessed from standard desktop
computers. WebGL is indeed fully cross-platform thanks to its use of
JavaScript and to its out-of-the-box support in Firefox/Chrome. You just
have 1 target to support as long as the GUI is concerned, which directly
leads to huge economies of scale.

It seems to me that the potential of WebGL as a cross-platform tool for
visualizing 3D scientific data is very important (think of medical
imaging, CAD, physics simulation,...). As far as medical software is
concerned, the emphasis is currently more and more put on Web-based
solutions that are immediate to deploy in an homogeneous park of desktop
computers. So, the weak proportion of mobile devices that may currently
benefit from min/max blending should not hide the fact that almost any
desktop computer can immediately benefit from it.

Cheers,
Sébastien-