[Public WebGL] mobile support emulation

Florian Bösch [email protected]
Thu Dec 13 09:10:42 PST 2012

A lot of mobiles still do not support WebGL and there's this topic how
WebGL will never run properly on mobiles. I've had an idea to mitigate the
problem.

Google Chrome already includes an "Overrides" settings dialog that sets the
UA and its screen metric from a profile. I would propose to extend this
functionality to include:

- WebGL extensions/capabilities being disabled for a device profile
appropriately
- A device profile would include a performance metric (collected from the
actual device) and all WebGL operations would be slowed down artificially
to match that profile.

This would make it much easier to successfully target mobiles and to help
users awareness of the limitations they face when targeting mobiles both in
terms of capabilities and performance.