[Public WebGL] Re: Renaming "webglcontextlost" and friend (Was: [whatwg] Hardware accelerated canvas)

Tony Parisi [email protected]
Fri Dec 14 17:13:41 PST 2012

You definitely need to support the old names, otherwise code will just stop
getting the events it was asking for and never know. That's a pain to
regression test for.

My $.02

Tony

On Fri, Dec 14, 2012 at 5:00 PM, Benoit Jacob <[email protected]> wrote:

> That sounds fine (and I am all for this addition to Canvas 2D), but
> don't want to break existing WebGL applications --- especially not the
> few ones who were brave enough to implement support for handling these
> events.
>
> Renaming WebGLContextEvent should be fine --- I don't expect that
> real-world code would be affected by that, right? I am more concerned
> about renaming "webglcontext{lost,restored}". To avoid breaking code, we
> would have to keep generating events under the old names, alongside the
> events under the new name. That sounds acceptable though, especially as
> these events aren't supposed to be fired very frequently.
>
> Benoit
>
> On 12-12-14 06:41 PM, Ian Hickson wrote:
> > This is a question for WebGL in the context of some changes we need in
> the
> > 2D space:
> >
> > So long story short, there are cases where, however hard we try, hardware
> > is going to abandon us and clear the 2D canvas state.
> >
> > WebGL fires a "webglcontextlost" event (using a WebGLContextEvent object,
> > though its one special attribute is not used for this event) when the
> > context is lost, and then a "webglcontextrestored" event when the
> hardware
> > comes back from lunch (same deal with the event object).
> >
> > It seems like it'd be good if we could reuse that for 2D, ideally though
> > without the "webgl" prefix and just using a regular Event object rather
> > than WebGLContextEvent. If we do that, it'd be ideal if we could also
> > change WebGL to be consistent with the more generic terms and similarly
> > use regular Event objects. Is that possible?

Tony Parisi                             [email protected]
CTO at Large                         415.902.8002
Skype                                     auradeluxe
Follow me on Twitter!             http://twitter.com/auradeluxe
Read my blog at                     http://www.tonyparisi.com/

Read my book! *WebGL, Up and Running*
http://shop.oreilly.com/product/0636920024729.do