[Public WebGL] Re: Renaming "webglcontextlost" and friend (Was: [whatwg] Hardware accelerated canvas)

Kenneth Russell [email protected]
Mon Dec 17 16:26:24 PST 2012

On Mon, Dec 17, 2012 at 3:45 PM, Ian Hickson <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Fri, 14 Dec 2012, Kenneth Russell wrote:
>>
>> I'm in favor of deprecating the WebGL-specific event types in favor of
>> ones used for all Canvas contexts. Backward compatibility could be
>> achieved by continuing to send the webglcontextlost/restored event types
>> if listeners are registered for those events but not the new ones
>> (presumably "contextlost"/"contextrestored"). If listeners are
>> registered for the new types, the user agent could stop sending the old
>> ones.
>
> Sending both events in the GL case seems fine. I'll let Chris figure out
> the details of which is fired first and which wins if one is canceled and
> not the other, etc.
>

>> For WebGL it is desired to continue to have a detail message in the
>> event object, for debugging purposes if nothing else. Is that feasible
>> if the context lost/restored events are made generic?
>
> Per the spec, no message is currently sent in the event object for these
> events, which is why I proposed using Event instead.

Right, I'd forgotten that the WebGL spec states that the statusMessage
is empty for the context lost and restored events.

Recalling that webglcontextcreationerror is controversial anyway, it
seems fine to me if the context lost and restored events are pulled up
to the Canvas spec and changed to use regular Events. We can update
the WebGL spec to maintain backward compatibility once that's been
done.

-Ken