[Public WebGL] using the same context with multiple canvases

Gregg Tavares (社用) [email protected]
Mon Dec 17 17:44:46 PST 2012

On Tue, Dec 18, 2012 at 3:30 AM, Ian Hickson <[email protected]> wrote:

> On Mon, 17 Dec 2012, Gregg Tavares (社ç~T¨) wrote:

> > > They don't have to be creation, right? I mean, you have multiple
> > > contexts and you have multiple canvases, you're not going to be
> > > necessarily creating anything after that, just binding a context to a
> > > canvas and drawing. If the settings are specific to a particular
> > > context/canvas binding, then setContext() seems the right place...
> >
> > How does this help us in workers where we also want to be able to create
> > some object that represents what's being drawn to and we want to be able
> > to create multiple of them, draw to them with 1 context, and have each
> > have different attributes?
>
> setContext is on the CanvasProxy object you have in workers also.

My understanding of CanvasProxy is it's something you create in the main
thread from a Canvas. Not something the worker creates. We're asking for
something a worker creates, no relation to the main page whatsoever. are
you suggesting

  var cp = new CanvasProxy();
  cp.setContext(gl, {..params..});

And that doesn't strike you as a very strange API? What is this a proxy for
if there's no actual canvas?