[Public WebGL] EXT_sRGB

Florian Bösch [email protected]
Thu Feb 2 01:56:30 PST 2012

On Thu, Feb 2, 2012 at 3:37 AM, Conor Dickinson <[email protected]> wrote:
> Are there any plans to add support for the EXT_sRGB extension to WebGL any
> time soon?
This extension has not yet been ratified by the OpenGL ES WG. I've
quickly went over the support for the extension by devices, which
yielded zero (no device supports this extension yet). It is unlikely
this would move forward at the current time in WebGL.

> this is the
> one extension that is currently holding me back from making a top-quality
> renderer.  I am currently doing sRGB conversion manually into and out of my
> shaders, but this is inefficient on hardware that supports the extension and
> it does not handle frame buffer blending correctly.
You do not have to use sRGB to produce a high quality renderer. There
are two items you should consider:

Firstly you should consider the importance of being linear (also
referred to here:
http://http.developer.nvidia.com/GPUGems3/gpugems3_ch24.html )
1) at entry to your application any color input should be converted to
linear space
2) Therefore all calculations subsequently done will be correct,
because they happen in linear space
3) Before outputting your result to the screen you convert it to gamma
space again.

Secondly, it is beneficial (and sometimes required) to be able to
express more color graduations and wider values than afforded by byte
textures. WebGL does support floating point textures.