[Public WebGL] chrome mobile

Gregg Tavares (勤) [email protected]
Wed Feb 8 15:26:02 PST 2012

On Wed, Feb 8, 2012 at 3:16 PM, David Sheets <[email protected]> wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 8, 2012 at 1:24 PM, Gregg Tavares (勤) <[email protected]> wrote:
> > PS3 would have an extremely hard time running JavaScript efficiently with
> > it's poor cache.
>
> Have you played with a JavaScript implementation on the PS3? Has Sony
> released one? Do you have special access to one?

No I haven't. But I have programmed 2 shipping PS3 games and I know that
any indirection massively kills perf on PS3. PCs do okay at this. PowerPCs,
at least the one on the PS3, don't. JavaScript is the king of indirection
hence you're unlikely to get any significant speed out of it on a PS3.
 GLSL sandbox needs no JS speed because it's doing almost nothing but most
WebGL apps need to do significant work in JS (matrix multiplies, draw
calls, etc...).

On top of that, PS3 doesn't have a runtime GLSL compiler. You're required
to compile offline. (though I suppose they could add one)

All I'm saying is I wouldn't get your hopes up for WebGL on PS3 either
happening or being all that amazing.