[Public WebGL] chrome mobile

David Sheets [email protected]
Wed Feb 8 15:49:41 PST 2012

On Wed, Feb 8, 2012 at 3:26 PM, Gregg Tavares (勤) <[email protected]> wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 8, 2012 at 3:16 PM, David Sheets <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, Feb 8, 2012 at 1:24 PM, Gregg Tavares (勤) <[email protected]> wrote:
>> > PS3 would have an extremely hard time running JavaScript efficiently
>> > with
>> > it's poor cache.
>>
>> Have you played with a JavaScript implementation on the PS3? Has Sony
>> released one? Do you have special access to one?
>

> No I haven't. But I have programmed 2 shipping PS3 games and I know that any
> indirection massively kills perf on PS3. PCs do okay at this. PowerPCs, at
> least the one on the PS3, don't. JavaScript is the king of indirection hence
> you're unlikely to get any significant speed out of it on a PS3.  GLSL
> sandbox needs no JS speed because it's doing almost nothing but most WebGL
> apps need to do significant work in JS (matrix multiplies, draw calls,
> etc...).

Sounds like a cell phone that plugs into the wall and my TV. Don't
modern JS JITs optimize away indirection for well-typed code using
static structures? Did your games have scripting? Did you generate
native code from scripts before shipping?

> On top of that, PS3 doesn't have a runtime GLSL compiler. You're required to
> compile offline. (though I suppose they could add one)

They would have to add one to support WebGL as shaders are transported
as source. I assume the PS3 is functional enough to run a compiler?

> All I'm saying is I wouldn't get your hopes up for WebGL on PS3 either
> happening or being all that amazing.

The quality of WebGL on PS3 appears to be a function of the
development effort (or lack thereof thanks to its totally closed
nature). Do you think WebGL on the PS3 would be more or less
performant than Firefox Mobile Beta on a Tegra2? Which platform has a
vendor that is trying? Which platform has a vendor that accepts bug
reports and patches?