[Public WebGL] webgl/swiftshader

Benoit Jacob [email protected]
Wed Feb 15 05:18:42 PST 2012

SwiftShader is not, as far as I know, available under a license that would allow us to use it in Firefox.

The highest-performing open source 3D renderer that I know of, that we could consider as an alternative, is Mesa/llvmpipe.

I was very concerned about increasing the Firefox download size, but it seems that the Chrome guys have found a good way to solve this problem: if I understand correctly, the software renderer is only downloaded on demand when it's going to be actually used.

(Meanwhile, on desktop linux at least, we could simply ask linux distros to install Mesa/llvmpipe by default).

Benoit