[Public WebGL] Re: webgl/swiftshader

Patrick Baggett [email protected]
Wed Feb 15 10:57:39 PST 2012

On Wed, Feb 15, 2012 at 12:49 PM, John Davis <[email protected]>wrote:

> Thanks, I didn't realize all cases would have powervr gpu's.

Not sure if troll, but Nvidia's Tegra platform looks up to the challenge
and it isn't based on PowerVR.

I wouldn't say 100% of Win8 platforms will be WebGL capable, but honestly,
if a > 3.0 GHz x86-64 machine stutters while using Mesa's LLVM shader
backend (swiftshader is x86 only, and cannot be ported since it glues x86
asm together), then I imagine a 600MHz - 1GHz ARM chip running with power
constraints would scarcely be able to render anything "interactively". When
it comes to shaders on embedded hardware, it is basically GPU or die trying.

Patrick