[Public WebGL] Re: webgl/swiftshader

Florian Bösch [email protected]
Wed Feb 15 12:16:52 PST 2012

On Wed, Feb 15, 2012 at 7:57 PM, Patrick Baggett
<[email protected]>wrote:

> I wouldn't say 100% of Win8 platforms will be WebGL capable, but honestly,
> if a > 3.0 GHz x86-64 machine stutters while using Mesa's LLVM shader
> backend (swiftshader is x86 only, and cannot be ported since it glues x86
> asm together), then I imagine a 600MHz - 1GHz ARM chip running with power
> constraints would scarcely be able to render anything "interactively". When
> it comes to shaders on embedded hardware, it is basically GPU or die trying.

Well it's true that more complex usages would be all but hog-slow on CPUs.
But if all you need is to draw a couple hundred triangles and some simple
lighting, software rendering is a good alternative, say as opposed to
missusing canvas2d to do 3d or rasterizing in pure javascript.