[Public WebGL] Re: webgl/swiftshader

Florian Bösch [email protected]
Sun Feb 19 08:06:55 PST 2012

On Sun, Feb 19, 2012 at 4:32 PM, Liam Wilson <[email protected]>wrote:

> I think "software rendering is slow" is a bit of a self fulfilling
> prophecy. No one thinks it can be fast, so no one bothers to write a fast
> software renderer. So we then wind up drawing comparisons between
> unoptimised CPU renderers, and highly optimised GPU renderers. Which then
> makes the performance gap look far worse than it actually is.

1) Software rendering *is* slow. Mid-end desktop GPUs output around 500
million triangles per second and about 30 billion texels per second (that
would be 14'000 full-hd screens per second).
2) Swiftshader is a good/fast implementation of software rendering, but you
cannot expect this to ever reach anywhere actual GPU performance.