[Public WebGL] Re: webgl/swiftshader

Florian Bösch [email protected]
Sun Feb 19 12:03:35 PST 2012

On Sun, Feb 19, 2012 at 8:20 PM, Liam Wilson <[email protected]>wrote:

> But the majority of people don't have even a mid range discrete GPU. They
> have an integrated GPU (and if
> http://unity3d.com/webplayer/hwstats/pages/web-2011Q3-gfxcard.html is
> anything to go by, they don't even have a good integrated GPU). Even if the
> do happen to have an ok GPU there is still the issue of out dated
> drivers/missing GPU features.There's stats on
> http://people.mozilla.org/~bjacob/gfx_features_stats/ (again, take these
> with a pinch of salt), only about 10% of win XP users currently stand a
> chance of getting decent WebGL performance (layers acceleration enabled).

I guarantee you that no matter how slow the GPU, any hardware acceleration,
any at all that works, will be faster than software rendering. Somebody who
has a miserable GPU in his machine isn't gonna magically pull out a high
end Intel Core i7 out of their hat.

> It's not just a matter of raw performance. Rendering only needs to be
> fast enough to make applications usable. At a modest resolution and frame
> rates this is entirely possible with software rendering. There are far too
> many WebGL demos out there that attempt to render 60 fps at full screen
> resolution. 30fps at 640x360 would be perfectly good.

That's what I said, there's a a perfectly good range of use-cases that can
use software rendering. If you're just gonna use simple shaders, forward
shading and a couple hundred triangles, you're fine. Incidentally I don't
do any of that really. In fact, even most severely limited games render at
least a couple ten thousand triangles from half a dozen textures on screen
at resolutions upwards of 1024x786.

As to the matter of resolution. No, I won't like 640x360, that has about
the size of a dollar bill on my desktop screen. Also the iPad3 will have a
resolution of 2048x1536 at a screen size of 25cm diagonal your "ideal"
640x360 is about the size of quarter of a dollar bill, already pretty close
to a postage stamp. The high resolution era isn't gonna halt before 3D
content, and this isn't magically go away.