[Public WebGL] proposal draft for EXT_texture_filter_anisotropic

Kenneth Russell [email protected]
Mon Feb 27 17:06:04 PST 2012

On Fri, Feb 24, 2012 at 10:40 AM, Florian Bösch <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 24, 2012 at 7:21 PM, Kenneth Russell <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>> Agree that we should formalize the process. I believe the
>> implementation lifetime should be as follows:
>>
>>  - Proposal: for discussion on the public mailing list only, in order
>> to move to draft status. Must not be implemented by any vendor in this
>> form.
>>  - Draft: may be implemented with vendor prefix. For experimentation
>> purposes, to gain experience with the extension before finalizing.
>>  - Ratified: should be implemented without vendor prefix. Should not
>> be removed except if there is a security issue or similar.
>>
>> Thoughts?
>
> I think that's fine, but it would need some definition as to how things move
> into proposal and into draft. I'd also like to suggest extensions get a
> champion or somesuch, which is basically the go-to person for questions
> about it and who is interested to supply patches to the specification,
> implementations and conformance tests.

A section "Extension Development Process" has been added to
http://www.khronos.org/registry/webgl/extensions/ . Please review.

The contact and/or primary contributor to the extension is its
champion, so it doesn't seem necessary to mention that separately.

>> Also, I'd like to propose we move OES_element_index_uint and
>> WEBGL_depth_texture from proposal state to draft state; these seem
>> non-controversial. Objections or support?
>
> No objection to move these to draft state. They're both a little more
> involved to implement and the sooner we start, the sooner we'll have some
> test implementations.

Great. I'll start a separate thread about this just in case anyone
missed it buried deep in this one.