[Public WebGL] proposal draft for EXT_texture_filter_anisotropic

Kenneth Russell [email protected]
Mon Feb 27 17:12:49 PST 2012

On Fri, Feb 24, 2012 at 10:36 AM, Benoit Jacob <[email protected]> wrote:
>> Agree that we should formalize the process. I believe the
>> implementation lifetime should be as follows:
>>
>>   - Proposal: for discussion on the public mailing list only, in
>>   order
>> to move to draft status. Must not be implemented by any vendor in
>> this
>> form.
>>   - Draft: may be implemented with vendor prefix. For experimentation
>> purposes, to gain experience with the extension before finalizing.
>>   - Ratified: should be implemented without vendor prefix. Should not
>> be removed except if there is a security issue or similar.
>>
>> Thoughts?
>
> OK to formalize the notion that proposals should be made drafts before implementation starts (will do next time).
>
> Could we also formalize that once an extension is ratified, not only it should be implemented without vendor prefix, but any browser that already has an implementation with prefix should remove support for the prefixed extension string as soon as possible, even if this breaks content?

Does the text just added to
http://www.khronos.org/registry/webgl/extensions/ address your
concern? If not, let's make it more explicit.

>> Also, I'd like to propose we move OES_element_index_uint and
>> WEBGL_depth_texture from proposal state to draft state; these seem
>> non-controversial. Objections or support?
>
> About OES_element_index_uint, is there a use case where this is a significant performance win, or is this is just a convenience extension? Is it worth the portability issues it introduces?

The main portability issue with OES_element_index_uint has been
addressed with support for the extension in iOS 5. See
http://www.lastrayofhope.com/2011/07/24/ios-opengl-es-extension-support/
.

> I support depth textures.

Great. I'll still start up a separate thread about moving these out of
proposals in case anyone missed this discussion here.

-Ken