[Public WebGL] Interest in promoting to draft, and implementing, WEBGL_dynamic_texture

Benoit Jacob [email protected]
Wed Jun 5 19:35:40 PDT 2013

On 13-06-05 09:42 PM, Mark Callow wrote:

> On 2013/06/06 6:45, Benoit Jacob wrote:
>> Dear list,
>>
>> What are the remaining open issues preventing WEBGL_dynamic_texture from
>> being promoted to draft and implemented?
>>
>> What can I do to help resolve these?
>>
>> Following the EGL streams extensions definitely seems like the right
>> approach to this problem; from a naive reading of the
>> WEBGL_dynamic_texture specification, it seems like the general approach
>> is the right one and issues would be in details that would be best
>> investigated in the process of working on an experimental implementation.
> Hi Benoit
>
> The current draft spec. is insufficient in regards to synchronization
> capabilities. I am working on an update which will draw on OpenML and
> the recent EGL_ANDROID_presentation_time extension and accounts for
> the web approach of having a presentation time for each frame instead
> of a pre-set frame rate. The spec. should not be promoted until this
> update.
>
> It will be easier for accurate synchronization if we had an explicit
> present call for the drawing buffer. I know this has come up in other
> threads. My current plan is to present 2 alternatives in the updated
> spec: with and without an explicit present call. However this is
> subject to change according to issues that may come up as I write the
> draft.
>
> I am delighted to hear a strong request for this extension. It will
> give me impetus to get back to it and complete the update.

Thanks Mark for the reply. I look forward to the advancement of
WEBGL_dynamic_texture. Indeed, there is fairly strong interest from
Mozilla in this functionality. In the interest of full disclosure: the
interest comes from Firefox OS, where JavaScript is the only application
development language and WebGL the only GL-like API, and therefore
something like WEBGL_dynamic_texture appears to be particularly
important to enable advanced graphics involving video textures.

Benoit