[Public WebGL] Fwd: Shared Resources revisited

Ben Vanik [email protected]
Mon Jun 24 09:03:22 PDT 2013

Chris: did you mean to say that shared resources would be *more
interesting* than WebGL on workers? The things you listed are all benefits
of shared resources *and* WebGL on workers, *not* WebGL on workers alone.
Without share groups even if running in a worker you'd still have your
rendering blocked on shader compilation/linking, long uploads would still
steal time from your rendering frames, and since the number of workers you
can practically create is limited (resource constraints are very real -
workers are very expensive) you wouldn't be able to create many more for
doing your texture work. You'd see very little benefit for the engineering
overhead of building a transferable command buffer and would add a bunch of
negatives like additional latency, data duplication, non-trivial additional
memory consumption, etc.

Let me rephrase: WebGL on workers *without shared resources* only gains you
framerate independence from other main-thread javascript tasks (xhr
completes, etc) but it does not remove the blocking/variable call times of
WebGL methods. Any WebGL action that makes your frames run long today will
still make them run long in a worker. *Unless* you have shared resources
and can split them up.

On the Google Maps side, having shared_resources would be an immediate win
for us in a big way, whereas moving our rendering to WebGL to a single
worker will likely never be possible. We have too much dependence on the
DOM matching the WebGL rendering and synchronizing a worker and the DOM
will prove impossible. We also have a tremendous amount of state that is
non-trivial to serialize to typed arrays, and re-parsing/loading it in
workers would use way more processing time/power (don't forget that the
computation done on another thread is still computation that consumes
power). Using shared resources we could shift off our texture and buffer
uploads (and all of the processing that handles that) to a worker (or two)
and keep our time spent on the main thread down -- that's the biggest
possible win. During startup we could use a worker (or several) to do our
program compiling/linking while our main thread was loading more
javascript/etc -- a clever trick, but not much different than what Chrome
does today with async compiles/links (except we'd have some determinism)
and something we'd rather the browser under the covers than make us do with
expensive workers. At the end of the day what matters is short predictable
frame times - we can get a lot of that win by moving the sources of extreme
variability (texture/buffer generation and uploading) to workers.

Having designed several rendering engines that used GL share groups in the
past, I can say that WebGL in a worker alone is not what most people want
(though they don't know that, yet). The additional latency of moving input
events to the background thread (we all aren't just spinning cubes, you
know) and the inability to properly synchronize DOM elements makes primary
rendering in a worker a non-starter in most cases, and in others just makes
it significantly more difficult to write code. In real apps it will be
required to support both the non-worker case for months/years after this
feature starts shipping, and even then maybe for much longer depending on
devices (on a 2 core machine running WebGL in a worker would likely not be
a gain and may even end up hurting overall system performance) --- keeping
those two radically different code paths going is not an interesting
prospect for those writing non-trivial code.

So: shared resources doesn't make sense without being able to run WebGL on
workers (as who would you share it with?), but WebGL on workers on its own
without shared resources is largely useless for large apps targeting
low-latency, high performance, resource-intensive applications. I clearly
see the implementation dependence between the two features, but I'm
fighting against the idea that shared resources isn't useful.

As for implementation of resource sharing, we don't really care so long as
it's efficient (accepts batches of objects, etc). Limiting things to just
textures/buffers is probably fine as the program compile/link stuff can be
done by the browser under the covers, maybe with an additional API for that
to enable deterministic completion checking.  It's important that objects
are not transferred during the sharing, as otherwise there would be a ton
of data duplication when trying to fan out rendering with shared buffers or
textures and in most cases apps trying to do this stuff are already GPU
memory constrained.