[Public WebGL] WEBGL_debug_shader_precision extension proposal

Florian Bösch [email protected]
Thu Nov 6 05:32:23 PST 2014

On Thu, Nov 6, 2014 at 2:29 PM, Olli Etuaho <[email protected]> wrote:

>  I commented on implementing this as a JS library in my first
> message. Making it a WebGL extension is just the simplest way to expose
> this, since the functionality is easiest to implement by reusing the
> existing infrastructure in ANGLE. But if someone really wants the emulation
> as a JS library, they would be free to emscripten-compile the relevant
> parts of ANGLE and use it that way.

I agree that reusing the existing ESSL parsing infrastructure makes this
much easier as then it can be implemented as an AST visitor relatively
trivially. Though a variety of other usecases would benefit from that
ability as well. I'd much rather see an extension along the lines of
WEBGL_shader_ast that offers an api/format to parse a shader to an AST,
modify it, and pass it back to be compiled.