[Public WebGL] WEBGL_debug_shader_precision extension proposal

Florian Bösch [email protected]
Thu Nov 6 06:05:38 PST 2014

On Thu, Nov 6, 2014 at 2:56 PM, Olli Etuaho <[email protected]> wrote:

>  WEBGL_shader_ast is a neat idea, but that would require a large spec if
> it was a WebGL extension, and it would add possibly unwanted constraints on
> how the parsing infrastructure in browsers should work.

Maybe vendor folks could chime in here. I'd really like something like it,
how feasible is it?

> Implementing that as a JS library might actually be less effort. In this
> case the additions to the API are minimal. Also, one important goal here is
> to make using the emulation as easy as possible. To that end, just a few
> added lines of code is much better than integrating a big library to a JS
> app

That's true, but it's only true if you don't have WEBGL_shader_ast :). If
you had it, it'd be a few dozen lines of JS you could just drop in and have
it modify the WebGLContext.prototype.shaderSource.

> I come up with an alternative on how toggling the emulation on a
> shader-by-shader basis should work, by the way - using a "#pragma
> webgl_disable_precision_emulation;" directive in shaders could be simpler
> to both understand and implement. Thoughts on this?

Since it is an extension how about "#extension WEBGL_debug_shader_precision
: disable" ?