[Public WebGL] WEBGL_texture_from_depth_video extension proposal

Florian Bösch [email protected]
Mon Nov 10 12:33:50 PST 2014

On Mon, Nov 10, 2014 at 8:43 PM, Kenneth Russell <[email protected]> wrote:

> It'll only be efficient to upload depth videos to WebGL textures using
> the internal format which avoids converting the depth values during
> the upload process. That's why UNSIGNED_SHORT_5_6_5 was chosen as the
> single supported format for uploading this content to WebGL 1.0. It's
> not desirable for either the browser implementer or the web developer
> to support uploading depth videos to lots of random texture formats if
> they won't be efficient. The Media Capture group should comment on
> what formats depth cameras tend to output, and are likely to output in
> the future.

I think it's demonstratable that conversion between formats is reasonably
efficient if it can be done on-GPU, which is something that's just about
getting done for <video> now.

The reason I'm not in favor of fixing this to ushort 5-6-5 is because it is
quite often the case that an app developer would want something else to
use. So for instance because you cannot interpolate 5-6-5 that's been
bastardized to hold a single depth value, you'd then proceed to write your
own framebuffer to decode it to say, byte, int, float or what have you.
Likewise, 5-6-5 smells smack of an internal format, that's liable to change
with whoever's putting out the next depth capture device, and so, latest by
that point, you'll be converting something like say, a floating point depth
TO 5-6-5, which would be more than a little ironic.