[Public WebGL] WEBGL_debug_shader_precision extension proposal

Jeff Gilbert [email protected]
Tue Nov 11 18:26:33 PST 2014

I agree with Gregg.

I will add that if it's something that we feel is important enough as a working group, we could canonize the library and maintain it as part of our github repo.

-Jeff

----- Original Message -----
From: "Gregg Tavares" <[email protected]>
To: "Mark Callow" <[email protected]>
Cc: "Florian Bösch" <[email protected]>, "Jeff Gilbert" <[email protected]>, "Olli Etuaho" <[email protected]>, "Kenneth Russell" <[email protected]>, "public webgl" <[email protected]>
Sent: Tuesday, November 11, 2014 6:16:19 PM
Subject: Re: [Public WebGL] WEBGL_debug_shader_precision extension proposal

If this works just fine as a JavaScript library why add it as an extension?

As an extension what it does has to be specifically specified.
As an extension it can't be upgraded without making and proposing a new
extension.
As an extension it passes all work to the browser vendors who each need to
implement it

As a library it can be updated and extended whenever
As a library it only needs one implementation and everyone can use it
As a library it can do whatever it wants, no spec needed

>From the discussion above it doesn't seems like it needs to be an
extension. It doesn't seem like there is some specific OpenGL functionality
that needs to be exposed to make it possible. It also doesn't sound like a
speed issue given that the resulting shaders are up to 10x slower.

Also as a library it should be easy to patch it the same way the WebGL
Inspector patches itself in or various other libraries that patch things
like WebGLRenderingContext.prototype.compileShader