[Public WebGL] WEBGL_debug_shader_precision extension proposal

Tibor Ouden, den [email protected]
Fri Nov 14 05:53:03 PST 2014

To easily change the precision to inspect the effect on the computation is
useful debug functionality.

But a next request could be to have control over the exact count of bits in
the significand.
And then I would like to specify the amount of guard bits used.
And then for sqrt() I would like to be able to specify a certain look up
table algorithm because the gpu
in device xyz uses that.
Change the treatment of subnormal numbers ?
Emulate the 'exact' numerical behaviour of gpu xyz ?
... etc.

I think this is part of a larger set of debug features related to numerical
precision issues.
I think extensions should be related to the functionality of WebGL (running
code from a web page on the gpu)

Everything related to enhancing the implementation process of a polished
WebGL application is 'tool' functionality
and should be done in a library if possible in my opinion. It allows for
more flexibility and prevents the WebGL
spec from increasing.
If you allow this functionality to be an extension where do you draw the
line ?

I have nothing against a browser vendor implementing a full blown shader
debugger in their browser.
But that is not part of the WebGL spec.

While attempting to implement a physics engine on the gpu (
http://www.borbitsoft.com/)
using WebGL, I encountered some interesting numerical issues.

Due to the experiences with that project I started working on a shader
debugger in javascript which allows
the user to inspect every single variable by rewriting the shader on the
fly and warn against common mistakes (at least for me :-) ).
Specifying reduced precision is an interesting feature, as is selecting the
'exact' numerical
profile of target device xyz.
Also warning against constructs like vec3(float, vec3) (silent drop of last
component of 2nd argument)
Not setting gl_PointSize when rendering points

This done in in-between-projects-time so will take a while.

Cheers,

Tibor