[Public WebGL] WEBGL_debug_shader_precision extension proposal

Gregg Tavares [email protected]
Sun Nov 16 20:43:34 PST 2014

If I understand correctly your arguments boil down to (a) You've already
written the code and (b) It's based on ANGLE which is in C++ therefore you
can shove it into Chrome. And maybe Firefox and Safari can use it too. Not
IE. You're still requiring all browser teams to invest time into this
integration. They're stuck maintaining it forever. Of course they can
choose to never support it since it's an extension but then you aren't
really achieving your goal in that case.

I still don't see the point of making it an extension. Like Tibor said,
extensions should be for core functionality.

> The standard has gone on for years without any tools to address this
fairly large problem.

While tools to help with this are great the standard doesn't need to
address this. A library will address this better for all the reasons
mentioned before. I'm really not seeing the argument that it should be an
extension except you've already written some code. It seems like it should
come down it if it's the right thing to do. Maybe it is but I haven't seen
a good argument for why.  Making it an extension won't make it any more
likely to be used. In fact the most likely way for something like this to
be used would be to add it to the WebGL Inspector or something similar so
that the user doesn't have to change any code, they can just visit any page
and click some button that's outside the page.  You could also build it
into a browser's devtools, but that again won't help because it will only
be available in those browsers that implement it.

It seems like if you really want to hit the most devs you'd make it a
library because then any dev on any browser could use it.