[Public WebGL] WEBGL_debug_shader_precision extension proposal

Florian Bösch [email protected]
Mon Nov 17 08:42:12 PST 2014

I would, if at all feasible, prefer it to be a library, because then it can
be used to run it across every browser. Which is kinda important because
the architecture of the backends trough ANGLE, and in IE11 is probably
quite different, and may lead to different results.

I'd rather see this happening in some fashion, no matter what fashion
though, than not.

As a sidenote, I wanted to comment on precision qualifiers. It's always
struck me that the OpenGL specification is deficient in its definition of
numerical types (as in that it didn't specify which type has what precision
and which standard it'll have to implement). I understand that this is
largely historical. I also understand that the precision modifiers came to
be later on as the GL API was adopted for mobiles. But the combination of
no implementation guarantee, no precision guarantees, no numerical
implementation guarantee, and "types" which can change precision depending
on a specifier, strikes me as a particularly bad idea. I cannot recall any
statically typed language that would've followed the same logic (though
there might be one). And that's probably because most statically typed
languages designers thought, that would've probably been a wonky and bad
idea.