[Public WebGL] IE11 vs Chrome

Florian Bösch [email protected]
Tue Nov 18 01:54:56 PST 2014

On Tue, Nov 18, 2014 at 10:38 AM, John Davis <[email protected]>
wrote:

> Will Chrome/Angle be using DX11 anytime soon?

As Brandon has said, it depends on your system if Angle is using DX11 or
DX9.

> Not sure about everyone else, but on my end this demo is smooth as glass
> on IE11, but stutters/jerks on Chrome.

That's probably not got anything to do with the backend choice. It runs
smooth here in Chrome/Linux.

> Any idea what the difference is?  Or how I can make it run better on
> Chrome?

Stuttering/Jerking/etc. is most often caused by engaging the JS garbage
collector a lot. Each time it kicks in, it stops the world for anything
between 80-150ms and nothing gets drawn during that time.

It is possible that there's a particular bug with Chrome (due to vsync and
whatnot) that you might be affected by (Brandon and I talked about this
getting somewhat worse). You should compare your demo on different browsers
(IE, Chrome, Firefox, Opera) and on different OSes (OSX, Windows, Android,
iOS). This helps you spot if you did something wrong (it's bad everywhere),
or something suboptimal you did (it's good on exactly one browser, but not
on any other), or if it's a browser bug (it's bad on only one browser).