[Public WebGL] Float16Array

Florian Bösch [email protected]
Sat Nov 22 23:56:04 PST 2014

I've laid out my reasons for Float16Array support in es-discuss:
https://mail.mozilla.org/pipermail/es-discuss/2014-November/040377.html

Sadly it seems that participating in the ecmascript standard is opaque and
weird, and the group doesn't even seem to revision their standard/IDL in a
public repository (or at all?).

It also seems that previous discussion on typed array stalled:
https://mail.mozilla.org/pipermail/es-discuss/2014-November/040378.html

TC-39 also doesn't publish anything other than a strawman wiki page, they
don't seem to have a typed array specification/idl at all.

Khronos doesn't seem to be administering the typed array specification
anymore:
https://github.com/KhronosGroup/WebGL/blob/master/doc/spec/TypedArray-spec.html

Since I see no other way to participate in TC-39 and to improve typed
arrays with a much needed functionality, I have created a copy of the
lastest copy of the standard found on
https://www.khronos.org/registry/typedarray/specs/latest/ in a github
repository: https://github.com/pyalot/typed-array-spec and submitted a new
branch for addition of Float16Array to it:
https://github.com/pyalot/typed-array-spec/commit/341ba739e728a8d9a9393b94474137bf343a7b24

There are some issues with it:

   - The WebIDL does not contain a half data type, does it need to be
   added? https://github.com/pyalot/typed-array-spec/issues/1
   - What would be a good C equivalent type for half?
   https://github.com/pyalot/typed-array-spec/issues/2

I would be happy to receive feedback on this approach, to receive pull
requests and feedback on the issues.