[Public WebGL] WebVulkan and multithreaded command queue assembly

Florian Bösch [email protected]
Wed Mar 4 08:18:59 PST 2015

On Wed, Mar 4, 2015 at 5:09 PM, Brandon Jones <[email protected]> wrote:

> mapBuffer in WebGL2

That's quite a bummer.

> That's not to say that we shouldn't look to this new wave of APIs for
> inspiration. I think there's several concepts present across all of the new
> APIs that would play well on the Web, and may even work nicely with web
> workers in some form. I just don't don't believe we'll get a ~1:1 mapping
> like we saw with WebGL and OpenGL ES.

Well since Vulkan is the eventual future, I don't think it's sustainable to
have a bifurcation of Web Hardware Accelerated something APIs with
different semantics than native APIs. You'll lose out on:

- existing experience
- cross compilation
- tooling
- documentation
- books

That could easily break the back of any attempt to do so.