[Public WebGL] Infinite loops allowed in WebGL 1.0 currently?

Florian Bösch [email protected]
Tue Mar 10 23:58:30 PDT 2015

On Wed, Mar 11, 2015 at 12:52 AM, Kenneth Russell <[email protected]> wrote:

> This sounds both difficult and problematic.

I don't understand that. To me it seems like it'd be a rather easy change
because all you'd do is disable some intentional limitations on what GLSL
you can feed to the underlying implementation. Of course you'd have to know
which implementations are good for it, but that work is already being done
for WebGL2 anyway, and when in doubt, you don't offer the extension.

> I'd rather focus on getting WebGL 2.0 out the door.

By all means focus on that. I bring it up because WebGL 2.0 will come with
a large number of caveats for hardware/drivers/platforms which will result
in a very low activation rate for the first years of its existence.
Offering WebGL 2 features in WebGL 1 is important for two reasons:

   - It eases the migration from WebGL 1 to WebGL 2
   - It allows some of the WebGL 2 features to be used, where otherwise
   WebGL as a whole would not be available (because of aforementioned caveats,
   or simply because a vendor hasn't implemented it yet).

I believe it's important not to loose focus on the aspect that WebGL 1 will
be with us long after WebGL 2 is stable and actively used. WebGL 1 and 2
aren't like CSS2 and CSS3.