[Public WebGL] WebGL2 and no mapBuffer/mapBufferRange

Florian Bösch [email protected]
Mon Mar 16 11:11:31 PDT 2015

Even on native platforms mapBuffer[Range] isn't more efficient than
bufferSubData. Instead of blocking on the buffer[Sub]Data call, it just
blocks on the memcpy. If you set the asynchronous flag, it won't block, but
it'll still block on unmap and/or flush, which isn't more efficient than
buffer[Sub]Data. The only case where mapBuffer[Range] is faster is if
you're doing asynchronous ping-poned doubled buffered updates and issue no
other blocking command to the driver. Desktop GL has more options, but ES 3
does not.