[Public WebGL] Propose moving EXT_disjoint_timer_query extension to community approved

Kenneth Russell [email protected]
Fri Oct 2 22:58:29 PDT 2015

That's a fair point. For one thing, I'd neglected to widely announce the
availability of the draft extension in Chromium. Some of the interested
parties noticed the bug report get updated ( http://crbug.com/345227 ), but
I'm not sure how many people have tried it. If interested people would
please give it a try in Chrome's Dev Channel, your feedback on it would be
appreciated. It should finally be possible to get fine-grained timing of
GPU-side work in WebGL.

On the more general topic, I think broader advertising of these draft
extensions in browsers is what's needed. Until these extensions have been
vetted, it seems to me that they shouldn't be exposed unconditionally, so
almost inevitably, the feedback will have to come from interested
developers who enable the extensions themselves and try them out.

(Unless you're talking about adding another step to the process like
"provisional", where it can be exposed unconditionally, with the caveat
that it might be removed or changed in the future. I can see arguments both
for and against adding a step like that.)

-Ken