[Public WebGL] WebGL/ESSL version strings

Florian Bösch [email protected]
Sun Oct 18 04:02:12 PDT 2015

WebGL implementations report back the VERSION and SHADING_LANGUAGE_VERSION
getParameter strings.

*VERSION*

It's my understanding there are only two valid values for the parameter
VERSION: WebGL 1.0 and WebGL 2.0 at the time of this writing (afaik minor
spec revision versions aren't reported). However, these are versions that
are reported in the wild:

   - *WebGL 0.9*
   - *WebGL 0.91*
   - *WebGL 0.92*
   - *WebGL 0.93*
   - *WebGL 0.94*
   - *WebGL 0.95*
   - WebGL 1.0

*SHADING_LANGUAGE_VERSION*

It's my Understanding that there are only two valid values for the
parameter SHADING_LANGUAGE_VERSION: WebGL GLSL ES 1.0 and WebGL GLSL ES
2.0. However, these are values observed in the wild:

   - *WebGL GLSL ES 0.9*
   - *WebGL GLSL ES 0.91*
   - *WebGL GLSL ES 0.92*
   - *WebGL GLSL ES 0.93*
   - *WebGL GLSL ES 0.94*
   - *WebGL GLSL ES 0.95*
   - WebGL GLSL ES 1.0

*Request for clarification*

I would like to inquire off the Khronos WebGL WG the following questions
for clarification:

   - Is it correct that the only two valid versions to report here are 1.0
   and 2.0?
   - If so (or not) should there be language in the specifications to
   clarify this?
   - Is it correct that official members to the Khronos WebGL WG are
   required to adhere to the standards set forth by the group and should not
   willfully deviate from the standard?