[Public WebGL] WebGL/ESSL version strings

Frank Olivier [email protected]
Sun Oct 18 17:11:18 PDT 2015

Internet Explorer and Microsoft Edge report these <1.0 version strings; the goal here was to enable feature support detection* as we update the renderer several times year.

The goal has always been to use ‘1.0’ as soon as we had a fully conformant implementation, and to update devices so that we get to ‘1.0’ everywhere; we’ve received feedback from developers that they find the 0.01 increments useful.

That said, if it is more useful to change to ‘1.0’ at this point, we could do that.

*only for cases where no other feature support detection mechanism could be used.

From: [email protected] [mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of Kenneth Russell
Sent: Monday, October 19, 2015 7:39 AM
To: Florian Bösch <[email protected]>
Cc: public webgl <[email protected]>
Subject: Re: [Public WebGL] WebGL/ESSL version strings

On Sun, Oct 18, 2015 at 4:02 AM, Florian Bösch <[email protected]<mailto:[email protected]>> wrote:
WebGL implementations report back the VERSION and SHADING_LANGUAGE_VERSION getParameter strings.

VERSION

It's my understanding there are only two valid values for the parameter VERSION: WebGL 1.0 and WebGL 2.0 at the time of this writing (afaik minor spec revision versions aren't reported). However, these are versions that are reported in the wild:

  *   WebGL 0.9
  *   WebGL 0.91
  *   WebGL 0.92
  *   WebGL 0.93
  *   WebGL 0.94
  *   WebGL 0.95
  *   WebGL 1.0
SHADING_LANGUAGE_VERSION

It's my Understanding that there are only two valid values for the parameter SHADING_LANGUAGE_VERSION: WebGL GLSL ES 1.0 and WebGL GLSL ES 2.0. However, these are values observed in the wild:

  *   WebGL GLSL ES 0.9
  *   WebGL GLSL ES 0.91
  *   WebGL GLSL ES 0.92
  *   WebGL GLSL ES 0.93
  *   WebGL GLSL ES 0.94
  *   WebGL GLSL ES 0.95
  *   WebGL GLSL ES 1.0
Request for clarification

I would like to inquire off the Khronos WebGL WG the following questions for clarification:

  *   Is it correct that the only two valid versions to report here are 1.0 and 2.0?
Yes.

  *   If so (or not) should there be language in the specifications to clarify this?
There's no need. The specification already says this.

  *   Is it correct that official members to the Khronos WebGL WG are required to adhere to the standards set forth by the group and should not willfully deviate from the standard?
Yes.

I don't know which implementations are reporting these strings but they're not conformant.