[Public WebGL] WEBGL_compressed_texture_s3tc_srgb

Florian Bösch [email protected]
Tue Jun 14 06:19:04 PDT 2016

On Tue, Jun 14, 2016 at 3:11 PM, Kirill Dmitrenko <[email protected]>
wrote:

> It may be logical, but, as far as I know, not entirely true
> (unfortunately). Here's huge discussion on the matter:
> I've understood from the thread that browsers interpret images differently
> (e.g., some ignore colour profile from image file and some don't). Also
> there is no guarantees that gamma-corrected WebGL buffer will be absolutely
> correctly composed to a page.

That's mostly about upload to textures, which isn't related at all to the
output. Images may come in a variety of colorspaces (but they mostly come
in Adobe sRGB). They may also contain information which colorspace that is,
or they may not. Image editing programs may use those colorspace for
de/encoding, or they may not. etc. You should be able to avoid that the
browser does any colorspace conversion with those flags when you upload to
textures. But that's only because image parsing libraries do usually have
metadata parsing to find out what colorspace is claimed by the image, and
conversion code to read it out. Anyways, not related in any way to lookup
(texture2D) or storage on GPU (gl_FragColor).