[Public WebGL] WEBGL_compressed_texture_s3tc_srgb

Mark Callow [email protected]
Wed Jun 15 02:45:46 PDT 2016

I don’t need the lecture and I am not going to get involved in more nitpicking. However 2 things need to be pointed out.

> On Jun 15, 2016, at 5:23 PM, Florian Bösch <[email protected]> wrote:
>

> If the the value of FRAMEBUFFER_ATTACHMENT_COLOR_ENCODING is SRGB then the values will be compressed to non-linear before being written to the framebuffer.
> Otherwise they are written as is.
> This is incorrect. You need to distinguish between framebuffers, and framebuffer objects.

It is correct and you do not need to distinguish between framebuffers and FBOs. Both default framebuffers created with an EGL 1.5 setting for EGL_GL_COLORSPACE of EGL_GL_COLORSPACE_SRGB and FBOs having an sRGB texture as color attachment will have a FRAMEBUFFER_ATTACHMENT_COLOR_ENCODING of sRGB.

> The canvas color space proposal together with sRGB rendering support is intended to resolve these and other color space issues.
> It will not solve the underlying issue that everything that gets sent to a display is sent to the display in sRGB, because the display is forced to accept sRGB only because that's how it came into existence.

One of the drivers for the proposal is support of HDR and wide gamut displays. It is no longer true that everything sent to a display is sRGB.

Regards

    -Mark