[Public WebGL] Public review of updated WEBGL_multiview extension proposal

Florian Bösch [email protected]
Mon Aug 21 09:18:41 PDT 2017

On Mon, Aug 21, 2017 at 5:02 PM, Olli Etuaho <[email protected]> wrote:

> I do agree that WebGL 1.0 support is useful, though WebGL 2.0 support will
> surely ramp up given time. The main use case of the extension is VR, and
> especially on devices which are VR capable I'd expect widespread support
> for WebGL 2.0 already.

Of the top 10 performing mobile devices OVR_multiview support is:

   - Nvidia Shield Android TV: NO
   - Google Pixel C (tegra): NO
   - Samsung Galaxy S8 (Mali-G71): yes
   - Nubia Z17 (Adreno 540): yes
   - ZenFone 4 Pro (Adreno 530): yes
   - OnePlus 5 (Adreno 540): yes
   - Moto Z2 (Adreno 540): yes
   - Sony Xperia XZ Premium (Adreno 540): yes
   - Essential PH-1 (Adreno 540): yes
   - Xiaomi MI 6 (Adreno 540): yes

I can't help but notice that the big gap in that picture is the fault of
Google/Nvidia. It's a bit confusing since Nvidia was a major contributor to
OVR_multivew spec along with Oculus, Qualcomm and Google.