[Public WebGL] WEBGL_multiview discussion

Maksims Mihejevs [email protected]
Mon Jan 2 18:03:52 PST 2017

Correct me if I'm wrong, but extensions in most cases have no relationship
to version of standard, but to the hardware support. Some of the extensions
can be supported by WebGL 1.0 and WebGL 2.0 capable platforms, and it is up
to a hardware and driver to support then, and up to WebGL (regardless of
version) to expose access to them, so even after standard and WebGL core
functionality of any version is released, improvements and enhancements to
the platform can be implemented later by supporting extensions.

WebGL 2.0 does not mean WebGL 1.0 is going away. There will be hardware
where WebGL 2.0 won't be available, and it is within interest of web
community to have wide support for things, with choice driven by a
developer of using less supported feature with potential fallback or not.

If WebGL 1.0 does not goes away, does not mean that there should be no
extensions work for WebGL platform as a whole that will make WebGL 1.0
better too.
Looking at webglstats.com - is great example, where developers seeing how
support for certain extensions allows them to decide to work on
implementations relying on them with fallbacks if needed. And features made
on extensions that are available for WebGL 2.0 and WebGL 1.0 - is good
example. Developer want to drive his decision about feature based on
extension availability, not based on WebGL version.