[Public WebGL] Re: WEBGL_get_buffer_sub_data_async

Maksims Mihejevs [email protected]
Wed Jan 4 05:07:52 PST 2017

>From PlayCanvas side, we express a need for async glReadPixels path too. We
and our users have been using it in many ways, some of the ways:
1. GPU picking: ID encoded in unique colour, reading pixel under mouse.
2. GPU screen to world: reading pixel from depth texture, and using frustum
with math reconstructing world position.
3. Render Target to another Canvas. In Editor we have thumbnail previews
for materials, models, cubemaps and other assets. We render them into
render target in main context and then reading pixels to create ImageData
so it can be put to another canvas using putImageData.
4. Some custom algorithms to generate large amounts of computation heavy
data saved into texture, then read on CPU - this depends per case.
Sometimes async approach is viable there, sometimes it is not.

In many cases glReadPixels is called per each frame, like for picking, and
easily can drop frame rate due to blocking nature.

I've noticed that PBOs are mentioned in WebGL 2.0 spec, but not much info
apart of just that mention:
https://www.khronos.org/registry/webgl/specs/latest/2.0/#4.2
PBOs would allow to get render target data into buffers without stalling
GPU pipeline, and then read them.

How does getBufferSubDataAsync relates to PBOs?

Cheers,
Max