[Public WebGL] EXT_shader_texture_lod in WebGL2?

Florian Bösch [email protected]
Sat Jan 21 01:03:18 PST 2017

On Fri, Jan 20, 2017 at 11:26 PM, Zhenyao Mo <[email protected]> wrote:

> At this point, WebGL1 is in maintenance mode.

Not that I object to the sentiment of not forward porting legacy APIs to
WebGL2, I do take issue with the sentiment in general. I understand why you
think this is how things should be, but I think this is wrong.

As of January 19th 2017, support for WebGL1 extensions is still fragmentary
<http://webglstats.com/webgl>.

Picking out extensions with less than 90% support where support levels by
UAs that do implement them is substantially higher (and that aren't
compression related)

   - EXT_color_buffer_float
   <http://webglstats.com/webgl/extension/WEBGL_color_buffer_float> *10%,
   could be 98% * (introduced 2012, draft 2012, community approved 2014)
   - EXT_color_buffer_half_float
   <http://webglstats.com/webgl/extension/EXT_color_buffer_half_float> *10%,
   could be 97%*  (introduced 2012, draft 2012, community approved 2014)
   - WEBGL_debug_renderer_info
   <http://webglstats.com/webgl/extension/WEBGL_debug_renderer_info> *89%,
   could be 100%* (introduced 2011, ratified 2013)
   - WEBGL_depth_texture
   <http://webglstats.com/webgl/extension/WEBGL_depth_texture> *89%, could
   be 91%  *(introduced 2012, community approved 2013, ratified 2013)
   - EXT_disjoint_timer_query
   <http://webglstats.com/webgl/extension/EXT_disjoint_timer_query> *45%,
   could be 75% *(introduced 2013, community approved 2015)
   - WEBGL_draw_buffers
   <http://webglstats.com/webgl/extension/WEBGL_draw_buffers> *62%, could
   be 75%* (introduced 2012, ratified 2014)
   - EXT_frag_depth
<http://webglstats.com/webgl/extension/EXT_frag_depth> *68%,
   could be 84%* (introduced 2012, draft 2012, community approved 2014,
   ratified 2015)
   - EXT_sRGB <http://webglstats.com/webgl/extension/EXT_sRGB> *64%, could
   be 76% *(introduced 2012, draft 2013, community approved 2014)
   - EXT_shader_texture_lod
   <http://webglstats.com/webgl/extension/EXT_shader_texture_lod> *77%,
   could be 86%* (introduced 2014, draft 2014, community approved 2014,
   ratified 2015)

All of these extensions are older than 3 years, and the reason they're not
well supported is because some or other UA didn't implement them,
oftentimes citing "concentrating on other things".

Chief among the reasons why other UAs didn't see a pressing need to
implement these ubiquitously supportable extensions, is because *other* UAs
didn't send a clear enough signal early enough that these are in
everybodies interest to be implemented.

WebGL1 unfortunately is going to be continued to be used for many years for
a variety of reasons. I believe that WebGL Stats tracking of WebGL2
<http://webglstats.com/webgl2> will demonstrate this in the years to come.

UAs share a responsibility to make WebGL better in all regards, this
includes:

   - Extending the maximum parameter space of all WebGL versions (Apple,
   I'm looking at you)
   - Improving the support of existing extensions
   - Implementing new extensions
   - Supporting WebGL2 (Microsoft, Apple, your move)

Saying "WebGL1 is in maintenance mode" is really just saying you're
abandoning it. Abandoning WebGL1 effectively means abandoning WebGL,
period. You condemn developers to live with a situation for many years,
that could easily have been vastly improved if UAs properly assumed their
responsibilities and vigorously competed with each other to to provide the
better WebGL implementation (of any version) than their competition.

There will be a time when its appropriate to abandon WebGL1. That time will
not be here for many years. And although you should indicate very clearly
that WebGL2 is now the top of the competition, that does not mean you can
slack off in every other regard.