[Public WebGL] EXT_shader_texture_lod in WebGL2?

Florian Bösch [email protected]
Sat Jan 21 07:55:15 PST 2017

On Sat, Jan 21, 2017 at 1:32 PM, Maksims Mihejevs <[email protected]>
wrote:

> We've seeing already many enormous issues. For example MSAA with ANGLE has
> CPU path, and is unusable at all, as performance drops insanely. ETC2 was
> another case where CPU path was pushed a lot.

Are you sure ETC2 is software decoded and put on the GPU plain? Because if
so, we've had a lengthy debate in 2016 about ETC1 that ended with Jeff
Gilbert stating:

Update: The WG is planning on only exposing the extension where there
> is 'native' support. (Not D3D, maybe not Desktop NV?) We feel this
> best matches what devs expect when they see support for a compressed
> texture extension. Compressed image formats are a better delivery
> mechanism than compressed texture formats, if they're going to be
> decompressed anyway.

I don't believe we'll need to have this debate all over again... do we?